Abandoned cars

Abandoned cars

We can only investigate abandoned vehicles if they have been abandoned for longer than two weeks. Vehicles with a valid MOT and vehicle tax are not considered abandoned, and we will not investigate.

If there is an emergency with the vehicle, for example, spilt petrol or live electrical wires, please report it to the police on 101.

If you have noticed a vehicle you believe to be abandoned, you should follow these steps:

  1. Start by speaking to your neighbours to see if they know who owns the car.
  2. If you have made enquiries and no-one knows, make a note of the registration number and make of the car or vehicle.
  3. You can use this information to check whether the vehicle has a valid MOT and vehicle tax online

If the vehicle doesn't have a valid MOT, or isn't taxed, and the vehicle is on our land, report it to us, with a photo if possible.

Please note: the process of removing a vehicle can take up to 10 weeks, as there are several steps that need to be taken before it can be removed. These include contacting the DVLA, finding the registered keeper and contacting them.

If the vehicle doesn't have a valid MOT, or isn't taxed, and the vehicle is on a public road, you should report it to your local council.

If you believe the vehicle is stolen, please contact the police on 101, who will attend and recover the vehicle if it is stolen.

Wandle Chat Assistant