Loud noise or music

This is only considered anti-social behaviour if the noise is persistent.

Everyone should be able to enjoy living in their home, so we ask that neighbours are considerate of those around them. Check out our Good Neighbours page for information about things you can do to make sure you're not accidentaly disturbing your neighbours, and tips about talking to your neighbours to resolve any problems early.

  1. If you are disturbed by loud noise or music from a neighbour, you should first try to contact them and let them know that the noise is causing a problem - they may not have realised that the noise could be heard outside of their home. You can try knocking on their door to have a chat, or using a Dear Neighbour card [pdf] 469KB.
  2. If this doesn't work, you will need to contact your local council and report the problem to their Environmental Health or Noise team. Local councils have the legal power to deal with noise nuisance, and can issue abatement notices, fines and confiscate equipment. If the local authority take enforcement action, we can use this as evidence against the perpetrator.
  3. If you would like to talk through the noise problems with someone independent to a mediate, please get in touch with us, as this is something we can arrange.
  4. If the noise is persistent (lasting longer than thirty minutes a day, more than five days a week), or at night time (after 11pm and before 7am), and you do not feel safe approaching your neighbour, or you have tried and the situation hasn't improved, and you have contacted the local Environmental Health Officer, please complete our Diary sheets [docx] 60KB to keep a record of the disturbances.