All registered housing providers are required to have policies in place to ensure that they minimise the risk of fire in their properties. Wandle is no different and this page provides a brief summary of our Fire Safety Policy and what it means for you.
Why we have a Fire Safety Policy
Our Fire Safety Policy helps Wandle ensure that we have adequate and appropriate fire safety measures in place to minimise the risk of injury or loss of life in the event of a fire.
As a responsible employer and landlord we have a duty of care to ensure that our buildings and facilities can be used safely and that we take all reasonable steps to mitigate any risks associated with fire in our properties.
Our fire safety policy applies to our offices and all our properties with communal areas, but does not cover self-contained, domestic properties which do not have any communal areas.
How you can help
- Giving Wandle staff and contractors access so that they can carry-out fire related maintenance and undertake fire risk assessments
- Looking after doors and windows on escape routes so they can be easily and quickly opened in case of a fire. This includes keeping doors closed (unless they are doors designed to be held open on magnetic devices) and not wedging them open.
- Not changing your flat’s front door, as this acts as a key line of defence in preventing the spread of fire
- Not smoking in communal areas and generally taking care when smoking
- Keeping escape routes and communal areas clear by not storing belongings in communal areas and in particular keeping stairwells free of obstacles. This will ensure people can get out of the building quickly.
- Familiarise yourself with the escape plan for your building. If you are not sure of this please contact us.
Fire safety steps we take
Audits and Inspections – Wandle has a number of inspection and audit programmes which are designed to promptly identify and address fire hazards. These include estate inspections and audits completed by the Health and Safety team.
Fire Risk Assessments (FRA’s) – A fire risk assessment is a method of identifying fire hazards so that appropriate measures can be taken to reduce the risk of them starting. We undertake these for all relevant properties and review these assessments on a periodic basis, depending on their individual risk level.
Homes not managed by Wandle
If you live in a property that is owned by Wandle, but managed by an agent or another organisation, then they will be responsible for fire safety in that property. Wandle will however assist the agent to enable it to fulfil its fire safety duties. Agency managed properties will also be included in our routine health and safety inspections.
Wandle’s Fire Safety Guide
Free home safety check and smoke alarms
To get a free safety visit from your local fire service, contact the London Fire Brigade on:
- 08000 28 44 28
- Or book through their website