Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions for leaseholders and shared owners

My home

Who is responsible for repairs inside my property?

As a homeowner you are responsible for any repairs within your property – for example repairing internal leaks, servicing your boiler, repairs to fixtures and fittings, and decorations including any plasterwork.

Can I make alterations to my property?

This depends on your lease. Some of our leases only allow for internal alterations, and do not allow structural works. Please contact us before you begin any works so we can confirm whether you need our consent or not.

Who is responsible for repairing my broken window?

This will depend on your lease - generally if it is broken glass this is your responsibility, but if a window frame is broken this will usually be our responsibility.

If you live in a street property please check your lease, as some street property homeowners have full responsibility for all works to their building. 

If I have damp in my property who is responsible for the repairs?

This will depend on your lease and where the damp is coming from. If the damp is coming in from outside, it is our responsibility – for example a leaking gutter or roof.

How can I get a copy of my lease?

You should have been provided with a copy of your lease by your solicitors when you purchased your property. You can also obtain a copy of your lease from Land Registry. Alternatively you can request a copy from us and we will charge you a small administration fee.  

I don’t understand my lease?

We are happy to help you with any queries you have with your lease.  For independent advice please contact

Can I sublet my property?

If you own 100% of your property, yes you can - but you will need to let us know and provide us with a copy of the tenancy agreement, an up to date Gas Safe certificate, your contact details and the contact details of  your tenant.  There is a small one-off administration fee.

If you are a shared owner, you cannot sublet your property as this is a breach of your shared ownership lease. However, we will consider a short term period of subletting if you have extenuating circumstances - for example, you need to care for a relative, or you are working abroad for a temporary period only.

How do I know when works are planned for my building?

We will formally consult with you before any major works are undertaken to your building. We are statutory required to serve you with a Section 20 Consultation Notice for any works which are likely to exceed more than £250 per home owner. 


Shared owners

I own 50% of my property and would like to buy more  - how do I do this?

Our Sales Team will be more than happy to help you and guide you through this process. Please contact us on 0300 2000 116 or

What happens when I own 100% of my property?

When you own your property, you no longer have to pay rent – just service charges. If you live in a house, the freehold will be transferred to you and you will be responsible for insuring your property.

When I staircase what happens to my rent payments?

As you staircase, you gradually own more of your home, and pay less rent, until you own 100% of your property and no rental payments will be due.

Can I extend my lease?

Shared owners do not have a statutory right to extend their lease, but we do offer an informal lease extension scheme. If you have a long lease term over 90 or so years then, it is probably not necessary for you  to extend your lease but if your lease term is nearing 80 years it might be advisable to extend your lease, -  as once your lease has less then 80 years left it is more costly to extend your lease ie the premiums payable  are significantly higher. Please contact the Leasehold team for more information.


Homes in a building not owned by Wandle

Why is my block managed by a managing agent and not Wandle?

Your block is probably part of a Section 106 scheme, where the building was not built by Wandle and the freeholder has instructed a managing agent to provide day to day management and repair services to your building.

Your building may be one where the managing agent provides 100% of all services and repairs to the building, or you may live in a building where Wandle is responsible for internal works and cleaning, with the managing agent responsible for external works and anything structural.

We also have some blocks that are owned by Wandle but are built on an estate managed by a managing agent.

How do service charges work?

The managing agent is responsible for setting the Annual Service Charge. They then invoice Wandle and then Wandle passes their charges onto you.

Where Wandle is responsible for the internal areas of your building and the managing agent / freeholder is responsible for the external and structural parts, the Managing Agent bills us for the external / structural works and we bill you for any repairs and services we provide.

Please contact us first if you have any concerns regarding the services for your block and we will then contact the managing agent on your behalf.

Any communication we receive from the managing agent will be forwarded onto you, including copies of service charge budgets and final accounts.

What happens when I staircase up to 100%?

If you flat is part of a Section 106 scheme, depending on your lease, once you own 100% you may become a leaseholder of the freeholder and not Wandle. This is usually the case where your building already has a mixed tenure of affordable and private homes.  The managing agent/freeholder would then   send you your service charge bills directly to you. You will be advised if this applies to your home by our Sales Team when you apply to staircase to 100%.


Parking and estate concerns

How do I report communal repairs?

You can report repairs by email or by the over the phone to our repairs team. If you want to report a communal repair please email

Who do I tell if the cleaners have not been or there has been a spillage in the communal hallway?

This can be reported directly to the leasehold or neighbourhood teams or our customer services department by telephone or email.

There is parking enforcement on our estate, how do I get a parking permit?

Contact the Leasehold team -

I own my parking bay and other residents keep parking in my bay how can I stop this?

You can write and ask permission to install a parking post.

My block is starting to look a little worn, how do I find out when the block will be re-decorated?

We usually carry our re-decoration works every 10 years, please contact the Leasehold team if you would like to know when any works are scheduled, or if you would like us to arrange for a member of the Asset Management team to inspect your building.

Do you carry out regular estate inspections to my building?

Yes we do and the frequency of estate inspections will depend on the size and number of properties on your estate. For our larger schemes, inspections will happen at least once a month but for our smaller schemes the frequency may be less. If you are concerned that no one has inspected your estate, please contact Wandle and a member of the Neighbourhood or Leasehold Team will arranged an inspection . If you want to attend the inspection please let us know and we will arrange a convenient time with you.   

Wandle Chat Assistant