Need help to pay your rent?

Do you need help to pay your rent?

Struggling with the rent? Don't despair.  Depending on your circumstances, there’s help out there.


Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit helps people pay their rent. You could get Housing Benefit if you are on other benefits or if you're working.  To get Housing Benefit you must pay rent.    You can only get Housing Benefit if you are responsible for paying the rent for your home, or live with your partner who is responsible for the rent. Only one member of a couple who live together can claim Housing Benefit. You must also live in the accommodation for which you are claiming Housing Benefit.  To claim Housing Benefit:

  • You (or your partner) must meet the long list of qualifying conditions, eg have joint savings below £16,000, and
  • You (or your partner) must be liable to pay rent on a property.
  • You must occupy that property as your home.
  • be paying 'rent' - or something that counts as rent,
  • be able to prove their ID, 
  • have a National Insurance number
  • not be someone who has to claim Universal Credit instead, and
  • have a low enough income


Need to claim Universal Credit instead?

Universal Credit is slowly replacing Housing Benefit for people of working age ie this change does not affect single claimants of Pension Credit age, or couples who are both Pension Credit age.

There are therefore some claimants who will not be able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit - they will need to claim help with their rent through Universal Credit. 

UC is currently being rolled out to certain areas across the UK. Depending where you live and what your personal circumstances are, you might be able to claim UC instead of Housing Benefit.

To see if you live in a UC area, follow these steps:

For more information please visit our Universal Credit page.

If you cannot pay your rent, don’t ignore the problem. Talk to us as soon as possible. You can call us on 0300 2000 120.  Whether the problem is caused by a change of circumstances, a budgeting difficulty, or a cut in benefits, you can take some important steps you can take to help get yourself back in control and avoid eviction.

Wandle Chat Assistant