Getting help with bills 

Is it worth switching energy providers? 

In the past, the advice has always been to look at switching energy providers to see if you can get a better deal. At the moment, with fuel prices so high, there are no real offers out there. When the situation changes, we will update this advice.  

Check out about switching energy suppliers at: 

Am I entitled to any help from the government? 

On 26 May 2022, the Chancellor announced some additional help for households. 

  • A £650 one-off payment to eight million of the lowest-income households. This will go to those who are eligible for universal credit, tax credits, pension credits and other benefits. It will be paid to people in two lump sums, directly into their bank accounts. The first payment will be in July 2022, the second in the autumn. 
  • Eight million pensioners who get winter fuel payment to also get a £300 payment. 
  • £150 extra payment for people on disability benefits. 
  • Energy bill rebate scheme to double to £400. Originally this was £200 and was going to have to be repaid over time through higher bills, but this is not now the case. 

What is the Cold Weather (winter fuel) payment? 

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or mortgage support. Payments are made if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below over 7 consecutive days. 
In 2021, the rate was £25 for each 7-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March. 
To find out more go to Cold Weather Payment – GOV.UK ( 

What is the Warm homes discount? 

The Warm Home Discount is a one-off £140 deduction from your electricity bill between October and March. You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill, rather than your electricity bill, if your supplier provides both your gas and electricity.  

Visit to find out if you’re eligible and if your supplier supports this scheme. 

Is there any other support available to pay my bills? 

Your broadband and mobile supplier might offer a discounted package – also known as “social tariff”. You could apply to it if you receive certain government benefits. Visit Ofcom to find out if your supplier offers this. 

You could also access a discount in your water bills with Thames Water WaterHelp if you have a low household income. Visit Thames Water to find out more.