Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal, and it is important to know the warning signs.*
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Shortness of breath
If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds or you suspect a leak:
- Stop using all appliances, switch them off, and open doors and windows to ventilate the property
- Evacuate the property immediately; stay calm and avoid raising your heart rate
- Call the Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999 to report the incident, or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363
- Don’t go back into the property; wait for advice from the emergency services
- Seek immediate medical help; you may not realise you’ve been affected by the carbon monoxide and going outside into fresh air won’t treat any exposure by itself.
*Older people need to pay special attention to symptoms, which may put flu-like symptoms or feeling drowsy down to old age.