Never overload electrical sockets and always switch off your Christmas lights when you go to bed or leave the house.
Never place candles near your Christmas tree, garlands or decorations.
Keep candles out of reach from children and pets, and never leave candles unattended.
Most fires start in the kitchen. Many Christmas dishes require a longer period of time in the oven, therefore avoid leaving the oven on unattended and don’t leave your oven on when you leave the house.
Avoid cooking under the influence of alcohol.
Do not light cigarettes or leave ashtrays near decorations.
Don’t attach decorations to lights or heaters, as they can get hot and start a fire.
If you have an open fire, take care when decorating the fireplace and have nothing hanging over the edge.
When wrapping gifts, make sure you are not near any open flames or lit cigarettes.
Do not burn wrapping paper in the fireplace, as it burns very quickly and could cause a chimney fire.
Make sure guests visiting your home know the emergency exits.
Check in on older and vulnerable relatives and neighbours, to ensure their homes are safe.
Test your smoke alarms.
And finally, check your Christmas tree lights have the British Safety Standard sign either on the battery pack or on the plug.