Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal and is caused by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly installed or maintained.

There are no obvious signs of carbon monoxide, you can’t see it, taste or smell it. The early symptoms of poisoning include tiredness, drowsiness, headaches and pains.

You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • your gas appliance has been poorly installed
  • your appliance is not working properly
  • your appliance has not been checked for safety or maintenance regularly
  • there is not enough fresh air in the room
  • your chimney or flue gets blocked up
  • you allow unqualified people to install or maintain your appliance.

Our contractors have installed or will be installing carbon monoxide detectors in your homes. There are clear guidelines for installing detectors, please do not tamper with them, or remove the batteries. You are however required to carry out periodic testing of the alarm system to make sure it is still working. If the sounder does not work or the detector gives off warning sounds, please contact us immediately.

Action you can take:

  • Always let us in to carry out your annual gas safety check.
  • Never use a gas appliance if you think it’s not working properly. Signs to look out for include yellow or orange flames, soot or stains around the appliance and pilot lights which frequently blow out.
  • Never cover an appliance or block the convection air vents.
  • Never block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grills or air bricks.
  • Never block or cover outside flues.
  • Take care. Whenever draught exclusion, double glazing or a conservatory extension is fitted to a room containing a gas appliance, the appliance should be checked for safety afterwards.