Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for people of working age. It is a monthly payment and you may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work. The government’s aiming to move everyone onto Universal Credit by 2024.  It is replacing the following means-tested benefits for people of working age. 

  • Income support 
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Child tax credit 
  • Working tax credit 
  • Housing benefit. 

The government brought in a ‘cap’ on how much money people can receive in benefits and this cap has now been lowered.    

How will I be affected?

If you receive benefits, you’ll see changes to the amount of benefit you get.  

When you move onto Universal Credit, you’ll receive one monthly payment for your benefits. This means you’ll be responsible for paying us directly for your rent. 

Universal Credit is paid in arrears – in other words after the rent is due to us – and it is only paid to one person in a household.  

See the Money Advice Service  Universal Credit budgeting tool  for more detail. 

What should I do?

  • You’ll need a bank account that your Universal Credit can be paid into. This will need to be a current account, not a savings account. If you don’t have one, the Money Helper Service website can help you choose the account that’s right for you. 
  • Make sure you set aside money to pay your rent – the easiest way is to set up a Direct Debit.