If you have an assured or secure tenancy you can sublet, but you must get our permission in writing before you sub-let. You may not sub-let the whole of your property or grant an assured sub-tenancy. Please be aware that:

  • If you sub-let, you give up the use of part of your home for the period of the tenancy
  • Sub-letting creates a legal tenancy that would affect your own rights as a tenant
  • You can evict a sub-tenant with a court order
  • You are responsible for the behaviour of any sub-tenants whilst they are in your home
  • You should get legal advice to draw up the tenancy agreement, and then send the agreement to us for approval.
  • You must tell us, the council, the jobcentre or the tax office about any income from lodgers and sub-tenants. It may affect any housing and other benefits you get and the amount of council tax and income tax you are liable to pay.

Sub-letting your whole property is a breach of your tenancy agreement and we will take legal action to repossess your home.