Change of family circumstances

Change of family circumstances

You have a sole tenancy and want a partner, civil partner or spouse to become a joint tenant

If you were single when you started your tenancy, your husband, wife or civil partner will have some legal rights in your home, even if they are not joint tenants. If you’d like them to become joint tenants, you’ll need to sign a new tenancy agreement with your housing officer. To do this you must supply:

  • your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • proof of identity for your spouse or civil partner, and
  • details of employment, income and savings for both of you, as these may affect any benefits you get

You want your partner to become a joint tenant - and you’re not married to them or in a civil partnership

You need to provide us with their full name and date of birth and employment and income details. We will normally allow them to become a joint tenant if:

  • they can prove they have lived with you for at least 12 months
  • they do not have a tenancy elsewhere
  • the Wandle home is their only or main home

We cannot change a tenancy if you have rent arrears or we are taking legal action against you.

Taking over a tenancy when someone dies

If you have a secure or assured tenancy when a tenant dies, a close family member can sometimes take over the tenancy as long as they were living as part of the tenant’s household. Normally this applies to the surviving husband, wife, partner or civil partner of the person who died, even if they weren’t named as a joint tenant. A joint tenancy automatically transfers to the surviving joint tenant.

Other relatives can sometimes be eligible to succeed to the tenancy if they have lived in the property for at least 12 months before the tenant dies.

The person who wishes to take over the tenancy needs to contact the housing officer - so we can assess if the tenancy can be legally transferred and then arrange for a succession document to be signed. They will need to provide proof of the relationship and proof that they have lived in the property.

Please ask our Customer Services team for a copy of our succession policy.

Other household changes

Please let us know when a child is born or joins the family after the start of your tenancy. When children in the household reach the age of 18, or 19 if in full-time education, they become known as ‘non dependants’ for benefit purposes.

If you get Housing Benefit, you must tell the Housing Benefit office. They may reduce your benefit, depending on the non-dependants’ circumstances. Please ask your income officer for advice.

Wandle Chat Assistant