If you have an assured or secure tenancy you can take in lodgers as long as you do not overcrowd your home. A lodger is someone who shares your house like a member of the family. Although they have their own room, you have every right to go in there and they don’t have any tenancy rights.

If you plan to take in a lodger you need to tell us their name, age and gender, which rooms they will use and how much they will pay you. You must tell the Housing Benefits office and tax office about any income you get from a lodger.

You will also be responsible for the behaviour of any lodgers while they live in your home.

If you give someone exclusive use of any part of the property it may count as sub-letting.