Right to Acquire

The Right to Acquire gives some housing association tenants the right to buy the home they rent at a discount.

Am I eligible? 

You can apply to buy your home if you’ve have been a tenant of a public sector landlord (council, housing association, the armed services, NHS trusts) for three complete years. This period need not be continuous.

Is my home eligible?

Your home must either have been:

  • built or bought by a housing association after 31 March 1997 and funded through a social housing grant provided by the Housing Corporation (we can check this for you).
  • transferred from a local council to a housing association after 31 March 1997.

To apply, complete the Right to Acquire claim form which you can get from www.gov.uk and send it to our homeownership customer service team. We will then confirm whether you have the Right to Acquire and, if you are eligible, explain the next steps to buying your home.