Change of family circumstances

Can my husband/wife/civil partner become a joint tenant?

If you’d like them to become joint tenants, you’ll need to sign a new tenancy agreement. To do this you must supply:

  • your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • proof of identity for your spouse or civil partner, and
  • details of employment, income and savings for both of you, as these may affect any benefits you get.

If you were single when you started your tenancy, your husband, wife or civil partner will have some legal rights in your home, even if they are not joint tenants. 

What if my partner is not my husband/wife/civil partner?

You will need to provide their full name, date of birth, employment, and income details. We will normally allow them to become a joint tenant if:

  • they can prove they have lived with you for at least 12 months
  • they do not have a tenancy elsewhere
  • the home is their only or main home.

We cannot change a tenancy if you have rent arrears, or we are taking legal action against you.

What happens when someone dies?

A joint tenancy will automatically transfer to the surviving tenant.

A close family member can sometimes take over the tenancy if they were living as part of the tenant’s household. Usually this applies to the surviving husband, wife, partner or civil partner of the person who died.

Other relatives can be eligible to succeed to the tenancy if they have lived in the property for at least 12 months before the tenant dies.

If you wish to take over the tenancy, please contact your neighbourhood customer service officer.  

What do we need to tell you about children?

Please let us know when a child is born or joins the family after the start of your tenancy. When children in the household reach the age of 18, or 19 if in full-time education, they become known as ‘non dependants’ for benefit purposes.

If you get Housing Benefit, you must tell the Housing Benefit office. They may reduce your benefit, depending on the non-dependants’ circumstances. Please ask your income officer for advice.