Starter tenancies

A starter tenancy is a kind of trial tenancy for new tenants. They usually last a year, after which we offer the tenant an assured tenancy if there have been no problems. If there are problems, we can extend a starter tenancy to give the tenant a chance to solve them. If problems continue, we can end the starter tenancy.

What will a starter tenancy mean for me?

  • It means you are ‘on probation’ for an initial period of a year. 
  • Your neighbourhood customer service officer will visit you at home two or three times during the first year to make sure you are keeping to the terms of your tenancy by paying your rent, looking after your home, and not causing a nuisance to others. These visits are also an opportunity for you to ask us about anything to do with your tenancy or our services.
  • If you keep to the terms of the tenancy agreement, we will give you a full assured tenancy after a final review. If not, we may extend the starter tenancy or end it.
  • If we decide to end your tenancy, we will start legal action to evict you by sending you a Notice Requiring Possession.

How do my rights differ from other tenants’ rights?

As a starter tenant you do not have the right to:

  • transfer to another home, use a mobility scheme, or swap home with another tenant   
  • take in lodgers or sublet part of your home
  • assign or pass on your tenancy, except by a court order
  • make improvements to your home
  • buy your home.

You will have all these rights if you get an assured tenancy.

If you decide to end my tenancy, can I appeal?

Yes. When we write to give you our decision, we will also tell you how you can appeal, explain the appeals process and provide an application form for you to complete.

If we send you a Notice Requiring Possession, you will have 10 working days to appeal. Your appeal will be heard by a panel of at least one of our directors, and one Board member or a lay person, or both. The lay person will be someone who does not have any role in our organisation.

I am having problems with my tenancy – what should I do?

Contact your neighbourhood customer service officer first. If we receive complaints about you, we will act quickly to investigate them and see if the situation can be resolved.