Tenancy fraud happens when someone lives in a social rented home that was not allocated to them. It is a criminal offence.
There are lots of different kinds of tenancy fraud, such as:
- when a tenant rents out all or part of their home without our permission
- when a tenant uses their home for a business or unlawfully lets it out instead of living in it
- when someone stops using their property as their main home, leaving someone else in occupation. This could be a parent moving out and leaving a friend or family member living there; or if the tenant dies and someone else keeps living there without telling us
- when a tenant moves out and sells their key to someone else
- when a tenant knowingly gives us false information when applying for a home
- when a tenant stops living at their home and leaves it but does so without telling us
- keeping a social rented home when they own another property.
Tenancy fraud deprives those who need a home the chance to have one. If you suspect tenancy fraud, please call us on 0300 2000 120, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your information will be dealt with in confidence, and your identity kept anonymous.