Insuring Your Home

Insuring Your Home

Insurance helps you with the cost of putting right damage, theft or other problems. We are responsible under the terms of your lease for arranging the buildings insurance cover on your home. You are responsible for insuring your home contents.

It is important to have insurance, to protect against potential risks and damage. There are two types of insurance:

  • Buildings insurance helps you if the structure of your building is damaged 
  • Home contents insurance allows you to claim for lost, stolen or damaged things, like clothes or furniture, in your home 

What We Are Responsible For

If you live in a building owned by Wandle, you are covered by our insurance. If you live in a building which is not owned by Wandle, please contact your Leasehold Officer for advice - the information on this page does not apply to you, as the freeholder will have their own building insurance.

Our insurance covers the structure of the building, fixtures and fittings in your home and the shared areas that we are responsible for maintaining.

Fixtures and fittings are things you can’t take with you when you move e.g. window glass, doors, bathroom and kitchen fittings, pipes and ducts.

Your property is insured for the cost of rebuilding it. This is re-calculated every year by looking at building prices. We regularly review all our insurance polices to make sure they provide good value for money.

Contributing to the cost of buildings insurance

Under your lease, you must pay towards the cost of buildings insurance. We insure your home on our block policy, and as all our properties are insured on this policy, we get a cheaper rate and pass these savings on to you.

Our insurers are Zurich Municipal and the policy number is JHA-22S625-0013

We charge for insurance through your service charges. The amount you pay depends on the number of bedrooms in your property. We review the amount annually and reflect any changes in our block policy.

Claiming against the buildings Insurance

You can claim if there is damage to the structure, fixtures or fittings of your home in the event of a fire, lightning, explosion and aircraft, riot and malicious damage, earthquake, subterranean fire, storm or flood, escape of water from any tank, apparatus or pipe, impact by any road vehicle or animal, audio or visual communication, accidental breakage of fixed glass and fixed sanitaryware, accidental damage to supply pipes and cables, falling trees or branches, leakage of oil, theft or attempted theft, subsidence, ground heave or landslip, all other damage (except where excluded). (Please see summary of cover)

If you make a claim, you need to pay an amount of money known as the excess. The excess is £50 in respect of each and every loss increasing to £100 for escape of water from any tank, apparatus or pipe and £1,000 for subsidence.

In the case of damage due to theft or vandalism, you should report the matter to the police immediately and get a crime number.

Claims must be made direct to our insurer Zurich Municipal. You are responsible for the repair and you must tell Zurich Municipal about the claim within 60 days of the event.

Claims contact details

Phone Zurich Municipal on 0870 241 8050 during office hours.

You must quote our policy number JHA-22S625-0013 and confirm that your property comes under our Wandle block insurance. In most cases, they will tell you over the phone whether the policy covers your claim.

In the event of any unforeseen emergency affecting your premises which cause damage or potential danger, Zurich Municipal's emergency claims service will arrange for a suitable repairer or contractor to visit as soon as possible to provide emergency assistance or to provide emergency repairs to be carried out to prevent further damage occurring. All costs of assistance provided are your responsibility, although please keep any receipts as they could form part of a valid claim.

Zurich Municipal's 24 hour emergency repair service number is 0800 028 0336.

What isn’t covered by buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance doesn’t cover wear and tear, general maintenance and poor workmanship. If you are away for more than 120 days at a time, theft, malicious and accidental damage, and escaping water are not covered.

How to minimise the risk of damage to your property

Fire prevention

  • Take special care when cooking with hot oil or fat and never leave chip pans unattended.
  • Fit smoke detectors in all rooms (special detectors are available for the kitchen) and test them on a regular basis to ensure that the batteries are working.
  • Check electrical equipment and follow the manufacturer’s instructions in making sure that the correct fuses are used and circuits are not overloaded.
  • Make sure that cigarettes and cigars are always properly extinguished.

Water damage 

  • Find out where the stopcock is and make sure that you can turn it on and off.
  • Lag exposed water pipes and tanks in the roof area, but, remember not to use insulation material under the water tank as this may cause water in the tank to freeze. 
  • If pipes freeze, despite your precautions, thaw them out slowly using hot water bottles; never use a blowlamp. 


  • Structural damage to buildings caused by trees and shrubs is on the increase. 
  • Do seek advice on safe planting distances before planting trees and shrubs in your garden and ensure that they are pruned regularly 

Holidays and other un-occupancy 
You are expected to take reasonable precautions to safeguard your premises especially when it is unoccupied or you are away. These should include not only securing doors and windows, but reducing the risk of pipework freezing by either turning off the water system and draining it down, or by maintaining low-level heating, particularly overnight.


What You Are Responsible For

Our insurance doesn’t cover your home contents such as your furniture, decorations, carpets and other personal possessions. You are responsible for taking out your own home contents insurance

What do you, as the leaseholder, need to insure?

You need to insure your home contents, including any appliances we gave you when you moved in, like fridge or cooker, and all your personal belongings.
The National Housing Federation offers My Home contents insurance, an independent, affordable home contents insurance cover specifically designed for social housing tenants and leaseholders that can be paid in fortnightly or monthly instalments.

You can find out more about My Home by going to or calling 0345 450 7288.


Wandle Chat Assistant