Right to Acquire

Right to Acquire

The Right to Acquire is designed to give some housing association tenants the right to buy the home they currently rent at a discount.

Am I Eligible? 

You can apply to buy your housing association home if you’ve have been a tenant of a public sector landlord for three complete years. This period need not be continuous.

These landlords include:

  • housing associations
  • councils
  • the armed services
  • NHS trusts and foundation trusts

Is My Property Eligible?

Your property must either have been:

  • built or bought by a housing association after 31 March 1997 and funded through a social housing grant provided by the Housing Corporation. ( We can check this for you )
  • transferred from a local council to a housing association after 31 March 1997

You can find out more, and download the Right to Acquire claim form from this gov.uk webpage.

To apply, complete the Right to Acquire claim form send it to: Wandle, Leasehold Team, Second Floor, Minerva House, Montegue Close, London, SE1 9BB.

We will then confirm whether you have the Right to Acquire and, if you are eligible, explain the next steps in buying your home.

Wandle Chat Assistant